Network Level Content Blocking (UK)

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Fri Jun 8 08:19:00 UTC 2007

On Thursday 07 June 2007 23:15, Deepak Jain wrote:

>  I can't imagine this would fly in the US.

Such systems have already been ruled "unconstitutional" in the US.

> -- The Home Office Minister has already said he expects it in place,
> thats not far from a precondition of operation.

We are kind of use to the home office minister saying all sorts of cranky
things. Chances are he'll be gone by the end of the month.

My personal dealing with the IWF (stop emailing me, we don't have any NNTP
servers anymore) don't fill me with confidence.

If the government mandate this, they'll have to provide a list of images to
block under a more accountable regime than some random "voluntary body", and
they'll have to take responsibility when people point out the government is
blocking access to specific sites that contain material that criticises them.

I think complying with a voluntary censorship regime is a bad idea all around.

I'm one of James's employers customers when I'm surfing at home.

 Simon