Network Level Content Blocking (UK)

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Thu Jun 7 15:12:15 UTC 2007

On 7-Jun-2007, at 10:47, Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, James Blessing wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the cross posting to a number of lists but this is an
>> important topic for many of you (especially if you get multiple
>> copies).
>>
>> As many people are aware there is an 'expectation' that 'consumer'
>> broadband providers introduce network level content blocking for
>> specified content on the IWF list before the end of 07.
>
> There are no British colonies in North America...are there?

[On the mainland, not since Belize's independence in 1981. There are
British Overseas Territories in the Caribbean (Anguilla, Bermuda,
British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Montserrat and the Turks and
Caicos Islands) which are in North America according to at least some
definitions of the phrase.

However, to answer the question you were really asking, there are
surely North American companies on this list who do business in the
UK, and certainly no reason to think that North American politicians,
given an example to follow, would never do so in this continent. So
it's not obvious to me that this is off-topic here, speaking as one
single subscriber.]

Anyway, how does BT's cleanfeed work? How are British 3G operators
doing equivalent blocking? I'd be interested in learning about the
implementation.

Joe