NANOG 40 agenda posted

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Mon Jun 4 04:13:29 UTC 2007

On 4/06/2007, at 12:43 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 15:35:29 EDT, Donald Stahl said:
>
>> That said- your v6 support does not have to match your v4 support
>> to at
>> least allow you to begin testing. You could set up a single server
>> with v6
>> support, test, and not worry about it affecting production.
>
> If I read the thread so far correctly, Igor can't enable a single
> server
> with v6, because the instant he updates the DNS so an MX for his
> domain
> references a AAAA, that will become the preferred target for his
> domain
> from the entire IPv6 world, and he's gonna need a load balancer
> from Day 0.

Sounds fair enough to me.
The other mode would be to set up mail.ipv6.yahoo.com and have
customers use that for whatever protocol they send/receive mail with,
and not point an MX at an AAAA for the time being. However, that
means that you can't simply turn it off if it becomes a problem
(although, you could switch the AAAA out for an A), and when you end
up being able to do a "proper" IPv6 deployment you end up with
customers still caring about this legacy DNS entry. That, in short,
sounds painful.

--
Nathan Ward