NANOG 40 agenda posted

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Jun 4 01:11:14 UTC 2007

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 15:35:29 EDT, Donald Stahl said:
>
>> That said- your v6 support does not have to match your v4 support to at
>> least allow you to begin testing. You could set up a single server with v6
>> support, test, and not worry about it affecting production.
>
> If I read the thread so far correctly, Igor can't enable a single server
> with v6, because the instant he updates the DNS so an MX for his domain
> references a AAAA, that will become the preferred target for his domain
> from the entire IPv6 world, and he's gonna need a load balancer from Day 0.

ipv6 load balancers exist, one's current load balancer is/may probably
not be up to the task.

The tools required to do a particular task may not exist or may not be
directly applicable to your environment. If this stuff were easy,
everyone would do it. The number of free email providers with more than
4 millions users for example is pretty small and thus the exercise of
building a scalable service that works for your application given the
financial and technical constraints is left as an exercise for the reader.