IPv6 Training?

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Sun Jun 3 15:31:11 UTC 2007

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>> The magic answer to training setups: one big fat Xen box with
>> a lot of VM's, virtual interfaces and of course: Quagga.
>
> You said "magic". Does this mean that there is a site where you can
> download ISOs for this big fat XEN box?

www.debian.org
www.ubuntu.org
www.fedoraproject.org

.... I guess you know how that works.
(apt-get install quagga, *xen etc.. read the various FAQ's online)
XORP is of course also a great one, but doesn't have the 100%
cisco-alike feeling. You could possibly even use livecd's for this.

It might be an idea for somebody indeed to make a pre-cooked iso which
does something like this, then again, like quite a few other things,
as it is quite specific, a mere "howto build a fat Xen-Quagga howto"
might be more appropriate than yet another distribution...

>> That said of course, who still types directly into their
>> routers? I do hope that folks use one of the nice (custom)
>> router/device management tools out there which avoids all of that.
>
> You still have to figure out what to put into such a tool and that often
> involves quite a bit of labwork where you type things into routers and
> watch the results.

Of course, but that is why, when you build a network, you first set it
up in a lab. You can't make something when you don't know what you are
going to do with it. A good extensible design and above all, a lot of
experience, will help a lot in that area.

Greets,
 Jeroen