IPv6 Advertisements

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sat Jun 2 18:50:05 UTC 2007

Thus spake "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch at muada.com>
> So I expect people who are in your position to start requesting  blocks
> larger than /32 or /48 in order to be able to deaggregate, or  even
> request multiple independent PI blocks. It will be interesting  to see
> what this means for the number of PI requests and speed at  which the
> global IPv6 routing table grows.

This is the motivation for the suggestion that folks accept a few extra bits
for routes with a short AS_PATH length; that gets you the benefits of TE
without cluttering distant ASes with deaggregates.  This may also be
motivation for RIR policies that explicitly disallow TE as a justification
for a larger-than-minimum block.

> ... so it's not necessary for a router on one side of the globe to
> have all the more specifics that are only relevant on the opposite
> side of the globe.  ... common sense suggests that there is some
> middle ground where it's possible to have address space that's
> at least portable within a certain region, but we get to prune the
> routing tables elsewhere.

In theory this can be done at the RIR region level; what's to stop RIPE
members from blocking all ARIN routes and just having a top-level route for
each of ARIN's blocks pointing towards North America, and ARIN members
blocking all RIPE routes and having a top-level route for each of RIPE's
blocks pointing towards Europe?  If we can't get this working at a
continental level, considering how good the aggregation is on paper, how do
we ever expect to get it working within a region?

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov