Cool IPv6 Stuff

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Fri Jun 1 15:09:30 UTC 2007

Charlie Allom wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 02:28:34PM +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>> I am spamming this to NANOG, as there is bound to be ISP's out there
>> and other service providers who might have something cool to add to
>
> I have plans to use IPv6 on people's ADSL so they can subscribe to
> multicast music streaming from the major label catalogues we have
> licensed for playlouder msp.
>
>     http://devblog.playlouder.com/

You mean something like: http://unfix.org/projects/radio/ ? :)

From the page I spammed:
8<--------------------
Multicast IPv6

Some of the SixXS PoPs support Multicast IPv6, see the separate
Multicast Support FAQ for more information. More information and the
possibilities of Multicast can be found on m6bone. One could also take
a look at Radio.Unfix.
---------------------->8

And of course never forget the marvelous VideoLAN Client (VLC) and
there are a lot of other tools available that can do similar things.

It is one of the main reasons why we have, at least experimental,
multicast supported by various SixXS PoPs. The overlay nature of
Tunnel Broker setups, and relatively small scale, make that possible.
Larger setups, like at ISP's, will be quite a bit more troublesome,
which is also one of the reasons that Multicast is still marked
experimental, as I still need to finalize the code for doing it in a
scalable manner...

Using ECMH (http://unfix.org/projects/ecmh/) or mrd6, which copied
that same system, getting IPv6 Multicast connectivity is relatively
easy. Hooking up to the m6bone can be a bit difficult, but definitely
possible. Talk to the folks at the m6bone lists
(http://www.m6bone.net) and they will get you sorted for sure.

Something quite cool is that the Holy See (aka The Vatican :) is
streaming various things onto the m6bone reaching a lot of people that
way.

Greets,
 Jeroen