IPv6 Advertisements

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Jun 1 14:31:30 UTC 2007

Thus spake <michael.dillon at bt.com>
> If an ISP wants to aggregate their IPv6 traffic, they will announce
> one block for their entire global network. Then, internally, they
> will assign /48s in LA from a western USA internal allocation
> and /48s in Hamburg from a northwestern Europe internal
> allocation.

Bad example, since (a) blocks from different RIRs aren't going to aggregate
and (b) RIPE doesn't assign /48s anyway.

If we were talking about a company with sites on the east and left coasts of
the US, then IMHO they should get a single /48 if they have internal
connectivity (single site) and two /48s if not (two sites).

However, I wouldn't argue (much) with ARIN issuing a /47 even in the former
case on the logic that such constitutes two "sites", particularly if they
had separate management; it's when we get to the level of hundreds or
thousands of locations (with internal connectivity) that I have a problem
with calling each location a "site".  Below that, it doesn't do much harm.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov