Network Level Content Blocking (UK)

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Jun 7 18:46:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Chris L. Morrow wrote:
>> Its not "content" blocking, its source/destination blocking.
>
> oh, so null routes? I got the impression it was application-aware, or
> atleast port-aware... If it's proxying or doing anything more than
> port-level blocking it's likely it sees content as well, or COULD.
>
> Either way, it's not like it's effective for anything except the m ost
> casual of users :(

Its more than null routes, but not much more.  The router does a re-route
on a list of network/IP address, and then for the protocols the redirector
box understands (i.e. pretty much only HTTP) it matches part of the
application/URL pattern.

So IWF can block only one part of a sub-tree of a popular shared
webhosting site *IF* is one of a few application protocols.