An Internet IPv6 Transition Plan

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Tue Jul 31 21:08:03 UTC 2007

Stephen Wilcox wrote:

> Firstly, all p2p nets use some process to register with the network.
 > It is simple to imagine a way to ensure these superpeers are publically
 > addressed and let them coordinate the NATted hosts.

e.g. dyndns (no-ip.com) or OpenDHD and other not so wellknown.

Bots very often use IRC channels, also not strictly p2p, sometimes.

You may not like them (I dont) but they still are p2p applications,
if not the most popular.

> Secondly, there is no big NAT in china.

China is meant as a bad example. They will be the first to grow
out of IPv4 space and their IPv9 is kind of a big NAT.

 > And even if there was, very large private networks should flourish for
 > p2p sharing amongst each other.

Indeed if the island is becomming big enough. But there is no
communication to the outside.

> I think you're trying to demonstrate NAT to be a security mechanism
 > and its long been known that that is not the case.

No, I think NAT is a pain in the backside and should never have been.

Indeed a lot of fools get tricked into believing NAT is kind of a
firewall. It is like closing your eyes so the attacker cannot see you.

Talking about spam and malware going away with NAT behind NAT ...
I meant communication via email would go away in the first place.
I should have marked that as sarkasm.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin

--