An Internet IPv6 Transition Plan

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Sun Jul 29 12:02:43 UTC 2007

Stephen Wilcox wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 10:50:10AM +0200, Peter Dambier wrote:
>>p2p people will be happy if they can get rid of their tunnels.
>>With rfc 1918 addresses for all there will be no more
>>filesharing, voip, spam and troyans.
>

> really? because p2p doesnt work behind NAT, and computers behind NAT dont get infected?
>
> this is the Internet today and NAT has no effect on the above.

I am pessimistic. The malware will find its way.

It is port 25 smtp that goes away and takes part of the spam away too.

Ways have been found to drill holes into NAT-routers and firewalls,
but they are working only as long as it is only you who wants to break
out of the NAT. As soon as the mainstream has only left rfc 1918 addresses
p2p will stop.

I see lots of p2p-ers already communicating via IPv6 tunnels.
They are prepared.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin

--