An Internet IPv6 Transition Plan

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at packetrade.com
Sun Jul 29 11:20:40 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 10:50:10AM +0200, Peter Dambier wrote:

> Petri Helenius wrote:
> >
> >Stephen Wilcox wrote:
> >
> >>Now, if you suddenly charge $2.50/mo to have a public IP or $15/mo for
> >>a /28 it does become a consideration to the customer as to if they
> >>_REALLY_ need it
> >>

> >Where would this money go to?

you could subsidise all those v6 rollouts everyone is talking about ;p

seriously, figuring out what to do with some spare money shouldnt be a big concern.. if we dont pool it centrally under collective authority then  what pete says below will happen:

> To ip-squatters.
>
> Get your allocation now and turn it into gold tommorow.
>
> p2p people will be happy if they can get rid of their tunnels.
> With rfc 1918 addresses for all there will be no more
> filesharing, voip, spam and troyans.

really? because p2p doesnt work behind NAT, and computers behind NAT dont get infected?

this is the Internet today and NAT has no effect on the above.

Steve