Routing public traffic across county boundaries in Europe

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 09:52:05 UTC 2007

On 7/27/07, Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel at mamane.lu> wrote:

> What I would expect is that you still have to obey lawful intercept
> legislation, so you need to interconnect with the government "black
> box" rooms, and these are at the major IXs in the country. (And I've
> repeatedly heard that in the Netherlands, for some time in the past at
> least, the way the ISPs got rid of the lawful intercept obligation was
> to have the AMS-IX send a copy of *all* the traffic to the government
> black box. Not that they had to do that, but it was the easiest /
> cheapest way.)

Easiest/cheapest for the Dutch ISPs. Not for the government though! AMS-IX
can be 200GBits a second, so I wonder if this was an exercise in killing the
snoopers with kindness.

If there were any such obligation, I'd expect the real reason not to
> be "the egress country can snoop", but "it is harder for the
> originating country to snoop".

Perhaps. The French and German govts are not keen on their officials using
Blackberrys 'cos all European BlackBerry traffic goes via a building near my
house (single point of failure? we don't need no stinkin' redundancy!) in
London.