Routing public traffic across county boundaries in Europe

Andy Loukes andy.loukes at thecloud.net
Thu Jul 26 07:52:55 UTC 2007

I think this is a pretty dumb question, because I presume this is how
most organisations save money and provide resilience.

What (if any) are the legal implications of taking internet destined
traffic in one country and egressing it in another (with an ip block
correctly marked for the correct country).

Somebody mentioned to me the other day that they thought the Dutch
government didn't allow an ISP to take internet traffic from a Dutch
citizen and egress in another country because it makes it easy for the
local country to snoop.

I've done lots of searching and have our legal council investigating but
I thought someone here might be able to point me in the direction of any
legislation?

(I'll summarise any off-list replies)...
Thanks,
--
Andy Loukes

Senior Systems Architect