San Francisco Power Outage

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Thu Jul 26 01:57:59 UTC 2007

jaitken at aitken.com (Jeff Aitken) writes:

> ..., we had a failure at another datacenter that uses Piller units, which
> operate on the same basic principle as the Hitec ones.  ...

i guess i never understood why anyone would install a piller that far from
the equator.  (it spins like a top, on a vertical axis, and the angular
momentum is really quite gigantic for its size -- it's heavy and it spins
really really fast -- and i remember asking a piller tech why his machine
wasn't tipped slightly southward to account for Coriolis, and he said i was
confused.  probably i am.)  but for north america, whenever i had a choice,
i chose hitec.  (which spins with an axis parallel to gravity.)
--
Paul Vixie