San Francisco Power Outage

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Thu Jul 26 01:41:52 UTC 2007

jof at thejof.com ("Jonathan Lassoff") writes:

> Well, the fact still remains that operating a datacenter smack-dab in
> the center of some of the most inflated real estate in recent history
> is quite a castly endeavor.

yes.  (speaking for both 365 main, and 529 bryant.)

> I really wouldn't be all that surprised if 365 Main cut some corners
> here and there behind the scenes to save costs while saving face.

no expense was spared in the conversion of this tank turret factory into
a modern data center.  if there was a dark start option, MFN ordered it.
(but if it required maintainance, MFN's bankruptcy interrupted that, but
the current owner has never been bankrupt.)

> As it is, they don't have remotely enough power to fill that facility
> to capacity, and they've suffered some pretty nasty outages in the
> recent past. I'm strongly considering the possibility of completely
> moving out of there.

2mW/floor seemed like a lot at the time.  ~6kW/rack wasn't contemplated.

(is it time to build out the land adjacent to 200 paul, then?)
--
Paul Vixie