Why do we use facilities with EPO's?

Roy r.engehausen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 19:43:17 UTC 2007

John C. A. Bambenek wrote:

> Funny story about that and the EPO we have here...
Story #1

Many years ago, the safety department for my employer made a big stink
over the fact that the EPO hadn't been tested in a couple of years.  We
scheduled an outage window, shut everything down.  The facilities guy
pressed the magic big RED button and NOTHING!  Tracing the problem back,
there was a blown fuse in the EPO circuit because a wire had shorted.  A
real safe design!

Story #2

Every few years the EPO buttons would change.  First they were the ones
with the metal ring around the button that protects against accidental
pushing.  Then we would get the mushroom button because it was "safer".
Invariably someone would trip it and they would change them back.  I
think some guy made some money submitting suggestions to change the
button every few years.