DNS Hijacking by Cox

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Wed Jul 25 15:13:37 UTC 2007

Mattias Ahnberg wrote:
> Peter Dambier wrote:
>
>> The problem is, you dont know what is behind that probably NATted ip
>> address. Probably you have 3 unix machines running smtp and uucp
>> and a single infected windows box and maybe some VoIPs and ...
>

> This is why I spoke of merely intercepting web traffic to inform,
> to not interrupt other services that may use the same link. I am
> in the same situation myself, sharing lots of stuff via the same
> fiber to my house. I even have TV through it.
>
> So I actually thought of that.

You are right. Intercepting is mostly harmless.

> And an ISP probably knows a bit more about their customer base
> than what we do, so this idea would ofcourse have to adapt to
> that. But as said, its a complicated matter and probably not a
> good idea either way before we know who is supposed to do what
> and for whom.

Having been a costumer to some ISPs and communicating with
others, I dont agree. At least concerning email they dont
have a clue about their costumers and there are others
things like uucp, VoIP and p2p or IPv6 tunnels they dont
have either.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin

--