An Internet IPv6 Transition Plan

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Jul 25 15:04:01 UTC 2007

Thus spake "Adrian Chadd" <adrian at creative.net.au>
> I'm not sure what your definition of "really tiny" is, but out here
> IPs are a dollar or two each a year from APNIC. I'm sure ARIN's IP
> charges aren't $0.00.

The 73 "Xtra Large" LIRs that consume 79% of ARIN's v4 space today are
paying no more than USD 0.03 per IP per year.  That's not quite zero, but
it's close enough the effect is the same.  Until the cost of v4 space to
these folks is more than a rounding error, they have absolutely no incentive
to conserve.  It doesn't matter what the other 2550 LIRs do because they're
insignificant factors in overall consumption.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov