An Internet IPv6 Transition Plan

John Curran jcurran at mail.com
Wed Jul 25 12:13:15 UTC 2007

At 2:02 PM +0200 7/25/07, David Conrad wrote:
>This assumes consumption patterns remain the same which is, I believe, naive.  In a world where you have to pay non-trivial amounts for address space utilization, people will only use the address space they actually need and you'll see even more proliferation of NAT for client-only services.

I believe that we'll see extensive use of NAT for client-only
services (just look at many broadband residential services
today), but that won't help business customers who want
a block for the DMZ servers.  They'll pay, but the question
is whether they can afford the actual global cost of routing
table entry, or whether it will even be accountable.  ISP's
can figure out the cost of "obtaining" IPv4 blocks, but the
imputed cost of injecting these random blocks into the DFZ
routing table is harder to measure and inflicted on everyone
else.

/John