San Francisco Power Outage

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Tue Jul 24 22:54:08 UTC 2007

Jonathan Lassoff wrote:

> Just a heads up to anyone on list that PG&E has just sustained a large
> outage in San Francisco that has caused a few hiccups (both network,
> electrical, infrastructural, etc.) around the city.
>
> I've confirmed that both customers in 365 Main and parts of telecom 1
> have both sustained brief blackouts. No word yet form 200 Paul.
>
> Anyone in the area that could use a hand with anything, I'll probably
> be wrapping up fixes for my stuff soon, and would be glad to help
> however I can.

I have a question: does anyone seriously accept "oh, power trouble" as a
reason your servers went offline? Where's the generators? UPS? Testing
said combination of UPS and generators? What if it was important? I
honestly find it hard to believe anyone runs a facility like that and
people actually *pay* for it.

If you do accept this is a good reason for failure, why?

~Seth