iPhone and Network Disruptions ...

Prof. Robert Mathews (OSIA) mathews at hawaii.edu
Tue Jul 24 20:27:08 UTC 2007

Hank, Warren, & Fellow Nanogers:

Looking at this issue with an *'interoperability lens,'* I remain
puzzled by a personal observation that at least in the publicized case
of Duke University's Wi-Fi net being effected, the "ARP storms" did not
negatively impact network operations UNTIL the presence of iPhones on
campus.  The nagging point in my mind therefore, is: why have other
Wi-Fi devices (laptops, HPCs/PDAs, Smartphones etc.,) NOT caused the
'type' of ARP flooding, which was made visible in Duke's Wi-Fi
environment?   Why did this issue become MOST prominent with the
introduction of Apple's iPhone on campus?

In that sense, my *original question* regarding iPhone's 'unique'
operational circumstance(s) will have/need to be considered. Initial
analysis tells me that we may not be far into that aspect but, we might
need to...

Again, I wish to thank you for the responses.

All my best,
Robert.