An Internet IPv6 Transition Plan

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Tue Jul 24 11:20:14 UTC 2007

Alain -

  Present residential broadband Internet service is "provide the
  customer with access to/from any public-facing IPv4-based
  resource"

  Around 2011 (date for discussion purpose only) residential
  broadband Internet service is "provide the customer with
  access to/from any public-facing IPv6-based Internet resource"

  The specific "vision" of how to provide such service is left to
  the provider.   The Internet/IAB/IETF/ICANN/ISOC/... history
  does not proscribe such items as prefix size, static versus
  dynamic addressing, management models, minimal security,
  or much else for that matter...  It's entirely left to the service
  provider.

  There's certainly suggestions, both direct (such as filtering
  for end-site devices) and indirect (embedding a /48 endsite
  assumption into the addressing scheme), but at the end of
  the day its up to the service provider to make their own
  design tradeoffs and let the market decide if they're right.

  This overall transition plan simply states that you might want
  to provide customers with access to sites which are served by
  IPv6-only sometime around 1 Jan 2011.  The will be particularly
  useful to ISP's who may (for lack of any choice) be using IPv6-
  only to provide "Internet" service, and would prefer to be making
  faithful representations that sites connected in this manner are
  reachable by everyone out there.

  This isn't a very hard concept.  ISP's will not have access to
  the previously deep pool of IPv4 address blocks that have
  allowed their ongoing growth in the past.  Continuation of
  the ISP industry is predicated on enabling IPv6 for public-facing
  sites over the next few years.

/John