How should ISPs notify customers about Bots (Was Re: DNS Hijacking

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Mon Jul 23 20:52:58 UTC 2007

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Joe Greco wrote:
> >> Please enlighten me.
> >
> > Intercept and inspect IRC packets.  If they join a botnet channel, turn on
> > a flag in the user's account.  Place them in a garden (no IRC, no nothing,
> > except McAfee or your favorite AV/patch set).
>
> Wow, you are recommending ISPs wiretap their subscribers.
>
> I suspect some privacy advocates will be upset with ISPs doing that.

"Some privacy advocates" will be upset with ISP's doing what Cox is doing.
Maybe you missed that.  If we assume that it is okay for Cox to actually
intercept the IRC sessions of their users, we're wayyyy far into that
mess anyways.  I'm saying "do it right" if you're going to do it at all.

Personally, I'd prefer that they didn't do it, but that set of solutions
is more complex.

... JG