How should ISPs notify customers about Bots (Was Re: DNS Hijacking

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Jul 23 20:04:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Joe Greco wrote:
>> So are you claiming no bots ever try to connect to that server?
>
> I don't care if bots ever try to connect to that server.  I can effectively
> stop the bots from connecting to servers by shutting down the Internet, but
> that doesn't make that solution reasonable or correct.

Do spam block lists only block spam e-mails, or do they on occasion
sometimes block both legitimate e-mail and spam?

Yes, your IRC was probably listed by mistake.  And more than likely
someone will correct that mistake.

Yes, it is agravating to you personally because it is your server that
was blocked by mistake.

Although this seems to be the first bit mistake in over two years, does
that make the practice unacceptable as another tool to respond to Bots?