How should ISPs notify customers about Bots (Was Re: DNS Hijacking by Cox)

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Jul 23 18:40:09 UTC 2007

> Running email abuse desks for about a decade now makes me
> tend to agree with you .. and completely unfiltered pipes to
> the internet for customer broadband are a pipe dream, most places.

If ISPs were able to standardize consumer Internet access services using
a gateway box, then the necessary filtering could be done on the gateway
which runs a secure OS. Of course its not too late to do this.
Essentially all the consumer edge infrastructure needs to be upgraded to
transition to IPv6. Rather than providing raw unfiltered Internet access
over IPv6, ISPs could use a standard gateway box.

When I say "standardize", I mean that ISPs could collectively work out
the specs for such an IPv6 Internet gateway in the IETF along with
vendors and other interested parties. Once a standard spec is agreed
upon, vendors will make such boxes at the price-point that you need.

I would also expect that I can buy such a box and manage it myself if I
choose, rather than having the ISP manage it for me as with most users.

I would also expect the box to have no NAT, use real IPv6 addresses, and
provide various firewall features to protect my home network better than
an IPv4 NAT box without preventing me from using new peer-to-peer
protocols like SIP.

--Michael Dillon