DNS Hijacking by Cox

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Jul 23 15:14:27 UTC 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Joe Greco wrote:
> I'll accept that argument once you've explained to all your family
> members how to do it - and they've actually done it, successfully.
>
> Let's be real now.

If we're going to be "real now," consider how rarely ISPs have done this
over the last several years.

Its very hard to wake the dragon.  Yes, ISPs can do all sorts of awful
things, but the reality is most of the big ISPs are extremely conservative
at taking any steps that disrupts customers traffic.  While they sometimes
make a mistake, it takes a lot to get big ISPs to do anything.  Since 2005
when ISPs started doing this, how many false positives have come up?

I don't think it is "real" to think big ISPs are going to redirect
customer traffic in order to steal customer credit card numbers or destroy
a competitor.