DNS Hijacking by Cox

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Jul 23 01:40:05 UTC 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 9:29 PM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:56:13 -0700
> "Andrew Matthews" <exstatica at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It looks like cox is hijacking dns for irc servers.
>>
> And people wonder why I support DNSsec....

Steve,

One of us is confused.  It might be me, but right now I think it's you.

To be clear, here is the situation as I understand it: Cox has
configured their recursive name servers such that when an end user
queries the recursive server for a specific host name (names?), the
recursive server responds with an IP address the host's owner did not
configure.

How exactly is DNSSEC going to stop them from doing this?

--
TTFN,
patrick