DNS Hijacking by Cox

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 00:18:15 UTC 2007

Brandon Galbraith wrote:
> On 7/22/07, *Sean Donelan* wrote:
>     DNS is just another application protocol that runs over IP.  You don't
>     have to use those DNS servers to resolve names.

Possibly, you do (based on experience).

> Agreed. If you're savvy enough to have a problem because of this, you're
> savvy enough to a) Use another set of DNS servers or b) Use your own
> local resolver.

For awhile, Comcast blocked/redirected all DNS queries, sending them to
their own servers.  Then, their servers didn't work properly....

Comcast still blocks port 25.  And last week, a locally well-known person
was blocked from sending outgoing port 25 email to their servers from her
home Comcast service.

It took some days to find out that Comcast had (without any notice) turned
off her outgoing email (Monday), due to spam complaints!  Needless to say,
her MacBook isn't sending spam -- but many thousands of folks have her
email address in their (presumably infected M$) address books.

The official response: We don't support Thunderbird.  You could use web
email instead.

When you pull stunts like that, you shouldn't complain about legislation.