DNS Hijacking by Cox

Raymond L. Corbin rcorbin at hostmysite.com
Sun Jul 22 23:04:07 UTC 2007

Hey

Well I suppose that would get rid of some of the script kiddies bots off of their network...

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/fulldisc/full-disclosure/55016

Though...I cannot think of another means to achieve their goal. However I wonder how they generated what records to point to their servers. Is it simply anything with irc.* ? I suppose it would stop the script kiddies if they didn’t use their own unique DNS and specified a different port in the config before compiling. Typically zombies are set to listen to the topic commands in order to either continue a DDoS attack or like scan for other hosts to infect. This would prevent the bots from getting a valid command to start scanning or DDoS, or in this case .remove would remove the bot from their customers computer (unless the default command character was changed), so I suppose it gets what they want, DDoS's to not originate in their network + XDCC Bots being created from zombies etc etc, credit card, zombie bots can be set to listen for paypal information and credit card information etc...but at the same time causing problems for their customers who legitimately use IRC. If weighed, I believe their problems with DDoS bots is weighted more heavily then the few who legitimately use IRC. I suppose they can always use like psyBNC to connect to IRC.

I agree with their goal but not really the means they are using reach their goal. If they are going to manipulate DNS to do this...how far will they go with other problems?

Raymond Corbin
Support Analyst
HostMySite.com

(sorry if it this posted twice...outlook froze on me :( )