iPhone and Network Disruptions ...

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Sun Jul 22 01:52:59 UTC 2007

    > > Cisco, Duke has now come to see the elimination of the problem,  see:
    > > "*Duke Resolves iPhone, Wi-Fi Outage Problems"* at
    > > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2161065,00.asp
    >
    > Since neither Apple, Cisco nor Duke seems willing to say exactly what the
    > problem was or what they fixed; not very surprising; it was probably a
    > "Duh" problem unique to Duke's network.

Nope.  My understanding is that it's an ARP storm, or something similar,
when the iPhone roams onto a new 802.11 hotspot.  Apple hasn't issued a
fix yet, so Cisco had to do an emergency patch for some of their larger
customers.  This is just my understanding based on one conversation about
it.  I'd feel like an idiot saying "don't quote me" on NANOG, but...  I
don't have any special knowledge about it, nor personal experience of it,
so...

                                -Bill