iPhone and Network Disruptions ...

Prof. Robert Mathews (OSIA) mathews at hawaii.edu
Sun Jul 22 00:53:46 UTC 2007

Fellow Nanogers:

Reports have floated across my desk in the past week, which have
suggested that iPhones owned by faculty, staff and students have been
flooding university campus Wi-Fi networks in parts of the country.  For
example, see: *"Duke Wi-Fi Crippled by Apple iPhones" *at
http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=10200AG9NMHU   Since
that story first aired, and by applying a patch that was subsequently
provided by Cisco, Duke has now come to see the elimination of the
problem,  see: "*Duke Resolves iPhone, Wi-Fi Outage Problems"* at

There are certain aspects of this story in which I have the most
interest, and the following questions (if I may be permitted to list
them) detail my concern - adequately.  I wish to ask you:  1) is the
iPhone an extra-ordinary device when comparing it with devices of a
comparable nature, which also request ties to a Wi-Fi network, (there
are many that use Wi-Fi enabled Smart-phones and PDAs on campuses -- so,
why do 'they' not pose a similar problem)  2) is this problem a result
of poor planning and services implementation at certain campuses, 3) is
this story - a product of great exaggerations?  4) if there are
technical issues indeed that permit iPhones in particular to DoS Wi-Fi
nets, what can these storms be attributed to, and what can/should be
done about it?

If you are in a position to respond, I would like to hear from you,
either publicly or privately.  If there is enough group interest in the
matter, I would be most happy to summarize.

All the best,
Robert.