Carrier Recommendations

Timothy McKee tim at baseworx.net
Sat Jul 21 13:46:11 UTC 2007

If this is for redundancy, also keep in mind that most 'cuts' occur
in the last mile.  Unless you are in a major facility with engineered
entrance/egress diversity a failure will result in ALL terrestrial
links failing.  This is a very string argument for a limited
bandwidth satellite or EVDO backup link.  (Which one depends on many
other factors.)

Tim McKee
VP, Network Services
SDN Global <http://www.sdnglobal.com>

On Jul 18, 2007, at 7:44 PM, Keegan.Holley at sungard.com wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Could you provide a little more detail as to your requirements?
> Bandwith, applications (voice, video, etc...) number of sites, that
> sort of thing. On the surface the first thing that comes to mind is
> redundancy.  You are going to have outages, especially if you have
> to go that far point to point.  The best thing would be to have a
> second circuit with another carrier on a diverse path.  The worst
> thing is when both the primary circuit and the backup were ordered
> through the same carrier and both go down during the came fiber
> cut.  Worse still is when they were ordered from two different
> carriers but carrier B actually bought bandwidth from carrier A
> resulting in the same outcome.
>

> Daniel <accesss801 at gmail.com>
> Sent by: owner-nanog at merit.edu
> 07/16/2007 05:37 PM

> nanog at nanog.org
> cc
> Subject
> Carrier Recommendations
>

> All,
>
> I am currently in the process of evaluating carriers for future
> expansion into international regions, primarily Asia, Europe and
> South America.
>
> I am comfortable with AT&T and Verizon however I would like to make
> sure I include all the major players and would like your direct
> feedback and commentary in regards to any of them.
>
> These are the key areas I am concerned with.
>
> Support
> Reliability
> Flexibility
> Complexity
> Coverage
>
> I am looking at two deployment options as well if anyone would like
> to comment.
>
> 1) A single carrier for global connectivity to all sites (mpls etc)
>
> 2) A single carrier for global regional connectivity, and in
> country/regional carriers for all local offices that funnel back to
> regional aggregation points.

> Thanks, Daniel

=====
Tim McKee