peter lothberg's mother slashdotted

micky coughes coughes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 12:21:16 UTC 2007

On 7/13/07, Robert Blayzor <rblayzor at inoc.net> wrote:

> micky coughes wrote:
> > I can see that *everybody* is missing the point on Peter's exercise.
> > Clearly this is to show to the telcos of the world that you can upgrade
> > to a native IP infrastructure and absorb the existing transport into the
> > router with a minimal effort.  There was a post here from someone that
> > was there that explained how simple it was.   This is HUGE!  This has
> > the potential to completely disrupt telco transport dinosaur groups
> > *and* reshape the future.  Taking it to his mom's house is just a poke
> > in the telco eye, he is making fun of them.  This then begs the question
> > why can they do it between their facilities?  If one guy can do it to a
> > *house* it must not be that hard.  However, telcos with transport groups
> > of 1000s can't pull this off, this little project states volumes.
>

> There may be some telco's out there that don't know these types of
> technologies are out there.  But for many, they are quiet aware.  The
> fact is 10G seems a lot more economically feasible right now.  Maybe if
> 40G, OC768 WDM line cards didn't cost over a quarter million dollars
> each there would be more deployments of it.  The rate and cost of
> facility upgrades are far surpassing the means to make the ROI models
> work.
>
> -Robert

Of course they know 40G exists, read the press releases.  It is how it is
implemented is the intersting thing.

Instead of relpacing all of DWDM systems from 10->40G it looks like it was
done to *one* window.  Go run the nummbers on the follwoing models:

1. Replace 10G system to 40G + assorted new mux gear for existing circuits +
40G router card + opex
2. Remove one transponder + stratalight + 40G router card + opex
3. Existing 10G system + silly iMux 4x10G + 40G router card + opex (zero
gain in system capacity)
4. Remove one transponder + 40G DWDM router card + opex (the opex on this
one is huge because you start to elimiated a large number of bodies to
maintain #1, #2 or #3)

If you work for a telco go to your transport group and suggest #4 and listen
to their bell shaped heads ring.