peter lothberg's mother slashdotted

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Thu Jul 12 23:16:56 UTC 2007

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> I have to disagree, considering the amount of people I've had to convice
> that this really is a single 50GHz wave using 40G per second over DWDM
> system designed for 10G and that it was router
>
> "LC - optical amplification - LC"

Well yes, the technology is quite cool, I'm not debating that.  The fact
that it works at his mothers house (residential) doesn't really have any
significance.  I don't think you have anyone out there debating against
caping out the upper limits of bandwidth on what we can get over a
single strand of glass.

I look at this article and say "so what".  Now you've gotten the packets
to the house.  Now what?  Wait 10, 15 or 20 years while companies try to
find ways to get content do you?  1500 HD channels, thats a lot of TV
sets.  You can have all the bandwidth you want, but but until there an
actual use for 40Gbps at the home all you're going to have is the worlds
fastest BitTorrent or on net porn PPV network.

How practical is it really also that you need CRS-1 at the residence for
this.  I agree with Sean.  Since for most people the line card alone
costs more than the house. :-)

-Robert