Yahoo outage summary

jared mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Jul 9 15:19:29 UTC 2007

On Jul 9, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 02:18:25 -0000, "Chris L. Morrow" said:
>
>> While S*BGP seem like they may offer additional protections and
>> additional
>> knobs to be used for protecting 'us' from 'them', the very basics are
>> obviously not being done so added complexity is not going to really
>> help
>> :( Or, perhaps its not that its not going to help its just not
>> going to
>> get done because even prefix-lists are 'too hard', apparently.
>
> "Wow, prefix-lists are *hard*" -- BGP Barbie..
>
> You'd think that by now, we as an industry could do better than that.

I agree that we need something better but nobody has shown me a better
system than prefix lists and irr that actually *works*.

The simple truth is that prefix lists ARE hard to manage. There are a
lot of folks that have complex relationships or don't see why they
should register their routes. Some people lack tools and automation to
make it work or to manage their networks. It would be nice to see
everyone filter routes, including those from even transit and large
peers. I don't think we will be able to ignore this forever. I also do
not see the status quo changing soon either.