messy

Travis H. travis+ml-nanog at subspacefield.org
Sun Jul 1 02:20:33 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 03:48:18PM -0500, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
> Lucy Lynch <llynch at civil-tongue.net> writes:
> > and hard to read...
> > http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf

I had the same reaction at first.

Incidentally, you can get this for cheap from the GPO.

I have it on my wall as "reference art".

It came in handy the other day when looking for the possibility of
interference between cell phone and wifi.

> different frequencies of RF have different performance
> characteristics.  unlike ip addresses, a 1 mhz allocation at 180 mhz
> and a 1 mhz allocation at 6.5 ghz are not fungible.

Plus, large installed bases; xceivers for different frequencies
are not always interchangable, even with PLL/xtal changes.

But yeah, any HAM can tell you that different bands do different
things...  some bounce off the ionosphere (shortwave/HF) and some
penetrate walls better than others (low frequencies).  Some are
refracted and diffused by rain, and some aren't, etc.  Heck, some can
be bounced off the moon (it's called moonbounce, but don't expect
anything but morse to be understandable).  I think I read somewhere
that the USS Liberty SIGINT ship had a large dish for this kind of
communication (makes direction-finding fairly difficult).

As a consequence, you find bands for "radiolocation" (RADAR) and
"mobile radio" and such spread all over the place.

If you're 300 miles from civilization, and it's raining, and all the
"mobile radio" bands were in the range ruined by rain, and someone
suffered a life-threatening injury, that would be "bad".

There are a lot of lobbyists and vested interests in allocation
fights, but I think that's a smaller factor than the others mentioned
above.
--
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even
 death may die." - H.P. Lovecraft, The Call of the Cthulhu