what the heck do i do now?

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Wed Jan 31 22:57:21 UTC 2007

bear with me, this appears to be about DNS but it's actually about e-mail.

maps.vix.com has been gone since 1999 or so.  mail-abuse.org is the new thing.
i've tried just about everything to get traffic toward the old domain name to
stop... right now there's a DNAME but it made no real difference.  i've taken
the maps.vix.com domain away.  i've set its NS to "localhost".  i've put long
TTL's on both good and bad data.  the traffic continues.  clearly this is my
pennance for starting MAPS, and i hear you giggling about it, but i need some
advice.  once upon a time, someone more insane than myself wanted to close an
RBL and did so by replacing it with a wildcard entry.  we all hated that since
it caused a lot of mail to bounce.  (all mail that would otherwise have been
received by that RBL's subscribers, in fact.)  it did however have the effect
of causing the subscribers to reconfigure their mailers to stop querying the
now-dead RBL in question.  what's the current thinking on this?

oh and even though this isn't about bgp i can put some numbers in so that it
will seem on-topic.  out of 100K DNS queries received by a vix.com nameserver
(which is about five minutes worth), here are the toptalkers for maps.vix.com.
(and we all know by now that public shaming and notification won't work, i'm
not sure why this is relevant, but it looks good, so here it is.)  "thoughts?"

2208 68.216.187.10
2156 192.106.1.99
1348 213.239.240.162
1024 192.106.1.100