Best way to supply colo customer with specific provider

Steve Gibbard scg at gibbard.org
Wed Jan 31 04:40:17 UTC 2007

If you actually want to do this, you've got four choices:

- Policy route, as mentioned below.
- Get the customer their own connection to Cogent.
- Have a border router that only talks to Cogent and doesn't receive full
   routes from your core, and connect the customer directly to that.
- Do something involving route servers and switches outside your border
   routers, a-la-Equinix Direct.

The policy routing idea will work, for some definition of work.  I forget
whether Cisco now has a fast (non-processor-switched) path for policy
routed traffic; they didn't yet when somebody convinced me to try this
many years ago.  If nothing else, it will make a mess of configuration and
troubleshooting.

Getting the customer their own Cogent connection is likely the least
trouble, but may not save you as much on the bandwidth cost as aggregating
the customer's traffic into the rest of your traffic would.

Connecting the customer to a Cogent-only border router works fine if you
already have such a border router.  If not, it may require significant
reengineering.

The route server suggestion is thrown out mainly as a conceptual exercise.
It would require a lot of design work.

All that said, if you're paying your engineers and operations people
developed world salaries, and paying major well-connected city bandwidth
rates, none of these suggestions should make your accountants or your
customer's accountants happy.  You'll be saving a bit on bandwidth costs
while putting in large amounts of engineering time that at best will do
nothing useful for your other customers.  Any way you do this, you'll
probably find that it costs you considerably more than it would to give
the customer your standard product.

-Steve