who was the last legit spammer?

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Jan 29 16:13:29 UTC 2007

> Define "legit" spammer. Do you mean one who was just advertising a
> real product, albeit in an objectionable fashion, as opposed to those
> who are trying to spread malware or commit fraud?

If you can read foreign languages, you are probably still receiving SPAM
for legitimate products. Just last year I got some in Portuguese
advertising a sort of "dude ranch" resort.

And as far as fraud is concerned, Yahoo.com sells banner advertising to
fraudulent organizations in Russia who are advertising so-called green
card lottery services. The ads are fraudulent because Russian citizens
are not eligible for the green card lottery. If you know about the
history of Canter and Siegel on USENET you might find it rather ironic
that the same scam is now advertised on Russian-language yahoo.com
sites.

--Michael Dillon