Cable-Tying with Waxed Twine

Ian Mason nanog at ian.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 15:47:32 UTC 2007

On 25 Jan 2007, at 04:41, Larry Beaulieu wrote:

>> The other thing I found interesting; The use of Zip Ties on Copper
>> Cabling
>> is frowned upon by BICSI.  Velcro preferred.
>>
>> Something to do with the compression on a twisted-pair cable
>> caused by
>> over-tight nylon cable ties screwing with their twist rates, and thus
>> changing their Crosttalk characteristics...
>
> Yep.
>
> For starters, the stuff that Dan Mahoney is looking for is properly
> known as
> waxed linen lacing cord.  In a past life I used to order the stuff
> made
> by Ludlow Textiles through Graybar, their part # back then was
> 89039323. It's
> not always in stock in individual stores.

[snip]

> Lacing is a lot slower than using platic ties, and doing it is
> rough on your
> fingers.  If you're lucky you know a data tech who can show you how
> to do it
> properly, it's really not something that you can just describe in
> writing.

The UK avionics industry used to (and may still) use thin PVC tube
for lacing
- kind of like thin insulated wire without the wire. It's got several
advantages:-

1) Much kinder on the fingers
2) It stretches, which:-
    a) minimises the risk of overtightening it
    b) the elasticity keeps it snug, it doesn't work loose over time
as easily
3) it doesn't rot

And yes, I am old enough to know how to do it. But I disagree with
Randy (what's new)
I'm more of a Techosaur than a Telephant.

Ian