Cable-Tying with Waxed Twine

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Thu Jan 25 09:07:49 UTC 2007

At 07:30 PM 1/24/2007, you wrote:
>Upon leaving a router at telx and asking one of their techs to plug
>in the equipment for me, I came back to find all my cat5 cables
>neatly tied with some sort of waxed twine, using an interesting
>looping knot pattern that repeated every six inches or so using a
>single piece of string.  For some reason, I found this trick really cool.
>
>I have tried googling for the method, (it's apparently standard,
>I've seen it in play elsewhere), and for the type of twine, but had
>little luck.  I was wondering if any of the gurus out there would
>care to share what this knot-pattern is actually called, and/or if
>there's a (illustrated) howto somewhere?

Someone else already mentioned Tecra Tools. We use Tecra. However, we
use Specialized too.

http://www.specialized.net/ecommerce/shop/seriesmaster.asp?series_id=Cable+Lacing+Tools

Our guys prefer the Chicago style straight blade needles since the
curved tools are too unwieldy when dealing with high cable density.
Here is a picture from one of our datacenters:

http://www.tellurian.com/california/img_8065_std.jpg

We use lacing at all of our facilities. As far as I'm concerned, it
is the only way to go.

-Robert

Tellurian Networks - Global Hosting Solutions Since 1995
http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin