Cable-Tying with Waxed Twine

William Yardley nanog at veggiechinese.net
Thu Jan 25 01:25:40 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 07:30:06PM -0500, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

[...]
> I came back to find all my cat5 cables neatly tied with some sort of
> waxed twine, using an interesting looping knot pattern that repeated
> every six inches or so using a single piece of string.
[...]
> I have tried googling for the method, (it's apparently standard, I've
> seen it in play elsewhere), and for the type of twine, but had little
> luck.

The kind my vendor was able to get was flat (not the normal stuff). As
far as I know, this stuff is usually surprisingly expensive and / or
comes in large cases. You might just see if the people at your colo can
give you a roll or two, or ask where they order theirs (last time I
asked, they bought it by the case).

I believe this is the stuff I have:
http://www.edmo.com/index.php?module=products&func=display&prod_id=20352

I got it from a local outfit (Danbru - http://danbru.com - great Socal
vendor) at ~ $35/roll, which seemed exorbitant to me.