[cacti-announce] Cacti 0.8.6j Released (fwd)

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Jan 24 22:46:40 UTC 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Mark Boolootian wrote:

>> I see a reference in the response to RTG.  RTG's claim to fame looks like
>> speed.
>
> In comparison to RRDTOOL-based applications, RTG stores raw values rather
> than cooked averages, allowing for a great deal more flexibility in analysis.
> And you aren't limited to a temporally fixed window of data.

And meaning that speed of analysis would be function of x where
x is length of time in the analysed period.

RRD takes good intermediate approach storing all the data for latest
few data samples and averages for longer time period data. Some people
also use double approach where data is both stored in RRD for quicker
access to graphing (for day/month/year like network engineers here
like to see since the days when MRTG came out) as well as storing
data in SQL database for more detailed analysis to be done by request
(of course your database is also continues to grow undefinetly unlike
fixed-size RRD files).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks