[cacti-announce] Cacti 0.8.6j Released (fwd)

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Wed Jan 24 17:43:10 UTC 2007

jml at packetpimp.org (Jason LeBlanc) writes:

> After looking for 'the ideal' tool for many years, it still amazes me
> that no one has built it.  Bulk gets, scalable schema and good portal/UI.
> RTG is better than MRTG, but the config/db/portal are still lacking.

if funding were available, i know some developers we could hire to build the
ultimate scalable pluggable network F/L/OSS management/monitoring system.  if
funding's not available then we're depending on some combination of hobbiests
(who've usually got rent to pay, limiting their availability for this work)
and in-house toolmakers at network owners (who've usually got other work to
do, or who would be under pressure to monetize/license/patent the results if
That Much Money was spent in ways that could otherwise directly benefit their
competitors.)

"been there, done that, got the t-shirt."  is there funding available yet?
like, $5M over three years?  spread out over 50 network owners that's ~$3K
a month.  i don't see that happening in a consolidation cycle like this one,
but hope springs eternal.  "give randy and hank the money, they'll take care
of this for us once and for all."
--
Paul Vixie