Google wants to be your Internet

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Wed Jan 24 10:26:13 UTC 2007

On 23 Jan 2007, at 16:48, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Why is IP required,

Because using something that works so well means less wheel reinvention.

> and even if you used IP for transport why must the meter
> identification be based on an IP address?

Idenification via IP address (exclusively) is bad.  I'd argue that if
you are looking to check the meter for consumption data and for
problems, a store-and-forward message system which didn't depend on
always-on connectivity would preserve enough address space to make it
viable as well.

-a