Undersea fiber cut after Taiwan earthquake - PCCW / Singtel / KT e tc connectivity disrupted

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Mon Jan 22 16:03:45 UTC 2007

"Jamie Bowden" <jamie at photon.com> writes:

>> Entrances, ha. Anyone remember that railroad tunnel in Baltimore ?
>> And I am pretty sure that Fairfax County isn't much better.
>
> We have a railroad tunnel in Fairfax?

single points of failure, like f'rinstance collapsed backbone segments
on boone blvd.  not railroad tunnels.

> On the less snarky side, I suspect that one wrong move by a backhoe
> along the Dulles Toll Road would screw about half the east coast.

the only fiber that i'm aware of that is actually along the toll road
itself belongs to the toll road folks.  it would screw up the smart
tag transponders for sure, but the ensuing traffic backups are
unlikely to affect half the east coast (even though traffic in nova
sometimes feels that way).

sunrise valley dr. and sunset hills rd. are an entirely different
matter though.  update your maps before you go to us rentals eh?  :-)

                                        ---rob