Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Travis H. travis+ml-nanog at subspacefield.org
Mon Jan 22 04:02:36 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 12:14:56PM +0000, Alexander Harrowell wrote:
> After all, the underlying TCP already has mechanisms to perceive the
> relative nearness of a network entity - counting hops or round-trip latency.
> Imagine a BT-like client that searches for available torrents, and records
> the round-trip time to each host it contacts. These it places in a lookup
> table and picks the fastest responders to initiate the data transfer.

Better yet, I was reading some introductory papers on machine learning,
and there are a number of algorithms for learning.  The one I think might
be relevant is to use these various network parameters to predict high
speed downloads, and treat as "oracles", adjusting their weights to reflect
their judgement accuracy.  They typically give performance e-close to the
best "expert", and can easily learn which expert is the best over time,
even if that changes.
--
``Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.''
-- Albert Einstein -><- <URL:http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/>