Undersea fiber cut after Taiwan earthquake - PCCW / Singtel / KT e tc connectivity disrupted

Chris L. Morrow christopher.morrow at verizonbusiness.com
Sun Jan 21 18:27:01 UTC 2007

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, Rod Beck wrote:

> Or how about the ship that sank off the coast of Pakistan and cut both
> the SWM3 spur into Pakistan and the Flag link?

This is a function of the cable-head being close to a port and close to
it's neighbor cable-head, right? If the cable heads were on opposite sides
of the harbor or in adjacent towns that probably wouldn't have occured,
right?

In many places (based on a quick scan of the telegeography map from 200
posts ago...) it seems like cable landings are all very much centrally
located in any one geographic area. There are like 5 on the east coast
hear NYC, with many of the cables coming into the same landing place.
Diversity on cable system and landing is probably one of your metrics to
watch, not just cable system :( This probably also means:

1) you bought direct from the coalition running the cable system
2) you knew enough to ask: "is this in the same landing area or within
10km of same?'
3) your pointy haired person didn't say: "buy from the same provider, so
we get one bill! ya know, 'on-net!'" and all that :(

Social issues and budget issues probably kill real diversity 90% of the
time :( (until you get bit)... which someone else already said I think?

> By the way, I will try to remove the disclaimer tomorrow.

that'll keep the randy-complain-o-gram level down :)