Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sun Jan 21 03:19:38 UTC 2007

Thus spake "Dave Israel" <davei at otd.com>
> The past solution to repetitive requests for the same content has been
> caching, either reactive (webcaching) or proactive (Akamaizing.)  I
> think it is the latter we will see; service providers will push
> reasonably cheap servers close to the edge where they aren't too
> oversubscribed, and stuff their content there.  A cluster of servers
> with terabytes of disk at a regional POP will cost a lot less than
> upgrading the upstream links.  And even if the SPs do not want to
> invest in developing this product platform for themselves, the price
> will likely be paid by the content providers who need performance to
> keep subscribers.

Caching per se doesn't apply to P2P networks, since they already do that
as part of their normal operation.  The key is getting users to contact
peers who are topologically closer, limiting the bits * distance
product.  It's ridiculous that I often get better transfer rates with
peers in Europe than with ones a few miles away.  The key to making
things more efficient is not to limit the bandwidth to/from the customer
premise, but limit it leaving the POP and between ISPs.  If I can
transfer at 100kB/s from my neighbors but only 10kB/s from another
continent, my opportunistic client will naturally do what my ISP wants
as a side effect.

The second step, after you've relocated the rate limiting points, is for
ISPs to add their own peers in each POP.  Edge devices would passively
detect when more than N customers have accessed the same torrent, and
they'd signal the ISP's peer to add them to its list.  That peer would
then download the content, and those N customers would get it from the
ISP's peer.  Creative use of rate limits and acess control could make it
even more efficient, but they're not strictly necessary.

The third step is for content producers to directly add their torrents
to the ISP peers before releasing the torrent directly to the public.
This gets "official" content pre-positioned for efficient distribution,
making it perform better (from a user's perspective) than pirated
content.

The two great things about this are (a) it doesn't require _any_ changes
to existing clients or protocols since it exploits existing behavior,
and (b) it doesn't need to cover 100% of the content or be 100%
reliable, since if a local peer isn't found with the torrent, the
clients will fall back to their existing behavior (albeit with lower
performance).

One thing that _does_ potentially break existing clients is forcing all
of the tracker (including DHT) requests through an ISP server.  The ISP
could then collect torrent popularity data in one place, but more
importantly it could (a) forward the request upstream, replacing the IP
with its own peer, and (b) only inform clients of other peers (including
the ISP one) using the same intercept point.  This looks a lot more like
a traditional transparent cache, with the attendant reliability and
capacity concerns, but I wouldn't be surprised if this were the first
mechanism to make it to market.

> I think the biggest stumbling block isn't technical.  It is a question
> of getting enough content to attract viewers, or alternately, getting
> enough viewers to attract content.  Plus, you're going to a format
> where the ability to fast-forward commercials is a fact, not a risk,
> and you'll have to find a way to get advertisers' products in front of
> the viewer to move past pay-per-view.  It's all economics and politics
> now.

I think BitTorrent Inc's recent move is the wave of the short-term
future: distribute files freely (and at low cost) via P2P, but
DRM-protect the files so that people have to acquire a license to open
the files.  I can see a variety of subscription models that could pay
for content effectively under that scheme.

However, it's going to be competing with a deeply-entrenched pirate
culture, so the key will be attractive new users who aren't technical
enough to use the existing tools via an easy-to-use interface.  Not
surprisingly, the same folks are working on deals to integrate BT (the
protocol) into STBs, routers, etc. so that users won't even know what's
going on beneath the surface -- they'll just see a TiVo-like interface
and pay a monthly fee like with cable.